Unfortunately, just about every industry has scams or con-artists working to prey on home owners. The lack of experience being able to identify these types of scams means it happens to more people than most would think. These kinds of scams usually show up right after heavy storms occur such as a hail storm.
As a consumer, you need to do your homework and spend the time to ensure you’re working with a reputable company.
Here is a list of a few tips that any homeowner should follow:
- Do your research! No matter who you are looking to choose for a roofer, investigate their company, get references, etc.
- Make sure you use a legitimate and locally owned company such as Greenawalt Roofing. We can be easily identified within the market on websites like Facebook and around the area on yard signs and billboards.
- Do not rush the decision. The smart approach is take your time and don’t respond to high pressure sales tactics. High pressure is a huge red flag. Scams will not want you to spend time doing any research.
- Be suspicious of requiring the full amount before any work begins.
- Ask for copies of licensing and insurance certificates.
- Don’t sign any contract before you have done your research on the contractor you have selected.
Also beware huge price differences from one contractor to another. Obviously as a consumer, we all want the best deal possible. But if in talking to several companies, and one of them happens to be for example $5,000 or more lower than everyone else, recognize this could be a red flag. Quality work done by skilled professionals requires a certain amount of time to be done right, and there’s a good chance a bid that’s significantly lower may not yield a quality final product. Remember that you do get what you pay for.
Be aware that legitimate local contractors may go door to door as a way to expand business, but as a consumer you need to identify a series of red flags that tell you something is off. A combination of someone that isn’t dressed professionally and doesn’t have current paperwork, may not sound as knowledgeable and wants you to make a quick decision about a big job like a new roof are all indications that something is wrong.
All of our professionals at Greenawalt Roofing are prompt, respect your time, show up in marked vehicles, use designated forms, are dressed professionally, and follow our employee guidelines. You should not expect anything else from any professional roofing contractor you work with!